Ashesi University Semester and Academic Year Exchange Program
About the Program
Discover Ashesi: Educating Ethical, Entrepreneurial Leaders in Africa
Ashesi is recognized as one of the finest universities in Africa, with an educational experience proven to successfully prepare students for rewarding lives and careers. Nearly 100% of Ashesi's graduates receive job offers, start businesses or enter graduate school within six months of graduation. With an academic program designed in collaboration with some of the world's best universities and organisations, Ashesi has created an educational model unlike any other in Africa.
Preparing Students For Life
At the heart of the Ashesi Education is a multidisciplinary core curriculum that develops critical thinking, creative problem solving, ethical reasoning, and effective communication skills. The combination of the core curriculum and a rigorous preparation in a major field of study prepares students to thrive and to lead in a rapidly changing world.
Students will pay UD tuition, room and board for the semester that they are abroad. Housing and meal plans will be secured on your behalf by UD, with Ashesi, prior to your arrival in Ghana. For a breakdown of estimated costs to study at Ashesi for a semester, browse the “costs” link above or click here for fall semester, and here for spring semester. All financial aid should apply. Studying at Ashesi University will be at no additional cost compared to a semester of study at UD.
Where is it located?
An hour's drive away from Accra's airport, Ashesi's campus provides serenity away from the bustle of Accra, and is free from distractions to studies. The campus location overlooks the capital city of Accra, and on campus facilities support a varied set of learning and recreation activities for students. However, the campus is still close enough for students to travel into Accra to attend an event, or to do some quick shopping at the mall.
Courses & Areas of Study
Ashesi University has 4 academic departments:
- Computer Science
To view a list of possible courses to take at Ashesi, browse online here and ask the Office of Education Abroad to share the most up to date syllabi for all Ashesi courses.
The 8 Learning Goals
- Ethics and Civic Engagement
- Critical Thinking
- Leadership & Teamwork
- Innovation & Action
- Curiosity & Skill
- Technological Competence
In 2010, the Ashesi community - faculty, staff, students and alumni - came together to identify seven key learning outcomes that that every Ashesi graduate must achieve after completing their education at Ashesi. These learning goals guide the curriculum and co-curricular programmes, and spread across all majors at Ashesi.
To read more about the 8 Learning Goals, click here.
- Students must be in sophomore standing
- Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing - both at the time their application is being processed and at time of departure
All exchange students live in Ashesi Housing. These are dorms with 2-4 occupancy, running showers, microwave oven, privately run laundry services (for a fee) and a fridge. There is a host family program to support students' cultural immersion but students generally do not live with host families beyond occasional visits.
There are two canteens on campus currently, each running from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm daily, with a small convenience store that provides snacks among other things. There are also two late-night cafeterias that stay open until 1:00 am. Students will have a comprehensive meal plan.
Students will be required to participate in a pre-departure orientation in the semester prior to their program participation. Dates and times will be announced.
Passports and visas >>
Health and safety >>
- Excursions - The Diversity and International Programs Office will coordinate one excursion for exchange students during the semester, usually to Cape Coast or the Volta Region
- Visa - Students should anticipate a 3-4 week turnaround period to receive their visa after an application has been submitted to the Ghanaian consulate. Be sure to verify which consulate is best to process your application.
- Health & Well-Being - UD students are strongly encouraged to purchase/maintain health insurance prior to their travels to Ghana, as recommended for all UD students traveling abroad. The Natembea Health Centre at Ashesi University can support students' general wellness, at no additional cost, though more urgent health needs can be met by local clinics or hospitals for a fee.
- Airport Pickup - Ashesi University will arrange and cover the cost of airport pickup upon arrival in Ghana and will also arrange and cover the cost of a return drop-off to the airport at the end of the semester.