Tobias International Leadership Scholar Program
The Tobias International Leadership Scholars Program is available to women from the state of Indiana who wish to study or serve abroad on a UD-approved program and desire to become future global leaders. The Tobias Program seeks to empower the next generation of female leaders from Indiana by providing experiences, mentorship and networks they will need to thrive in the 21st century. The Tobias Scholars program will develop future leaders, global citizens, and change agents.
The scholar program has three features:
1. An education abroad experience that may include study abroad, research projects, experiential learning or service and which connects to the leadership goals of the awardee.
2. A mentor who has global experience and is a successful leader. The mentor will provide insights and suggestions on how to leverage the opportunity to advance her leadership goals. Mentors will be successful global leaders within the UD alumni and friends network. This not only provides a way for the alumni to give back, it also fosters the development of a network for the TIL Scholar.
3. A chance for the Tobias Scholar to pay it forward and peer mentor the next generation. After completion of the overseas experience, each Tobias scholar will mentor a future student by sharing experiences on the education abroad process and the benefits of overseas experience. Each student would have a peer mentor and a leader mentor.
Research shows that international experiences are more meaningful when there is an opportunity to discuss, reflect and make meaning of them. The Tobias Scholars program provides the structure to foster greater learning and leadership development than an education abroad experience on its own.
Scholarship award: varies based on applicant pool and funds available
- Submit 1-2 page essay on the importance of global leadership and how the applicants would use this opportunity to develop both personally and professionally
- Submit a proposal with a detailed description of the proposed travel including budget and timetable, as well as any pertinent background and skills ( e.g., language ). Only one proposal per cycle may be submitted
- Submit one letter of recommendation from faculty member (you will request this through the Studio Abroad application portal).
Criteria for Student Selection
- Be a full-time undergraduate female student with residence in Indiana
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher and be in good disciplinary standing with the university.
- Have an application open in Studio Abroad for a specific program.
- Have completed 30 semester hours of credit toward their degree. A student with fewer than 30 semester credit hours may apply for funding if she demonstrates that an early international experience best fits the academic plan and/or course of study.
- Propose funding to be used toward support of University of Dayton, non-University of Dayton, and independent international programs.
- Applications are for individual students and will not apply toward a group fund-raising effort.
- All other grants and aid toward the international experience will be taken into consideration when making awards.
- Students who receive tuition remission are ineligible for this scholarship.
- There is a maximum of one award per student.
- Priority will be given to students with the following criteria
- Those pursuing activities in traditionally underrepresented locations or for more than 5 weeks
- Those who demonstrate financial need
- Those who have had limited or no prior international experience