Gender & Sexuality Resources
Education abroad and intercultural learning allows students to explore oneself within the context of some of the world’s various cultures. While you may be faced with challenges, you will experience personal growth abroad. As you consider your gender identity and sexual orientation, we recommend conducting research about the local environment to which you will be traveling and asking questions that will lead to the most beneficial education abroad experience.
Questions to Consider:
- How visible and large is the LGBTQ+ community in my host country?
- Is it safe to be out in the host country and culture? What are my safety and health needs?
- Are there LGBTQ+ resources and organizations in my host university and/or host city?
- What are my housing options? Will they meet my needs?
- What are the past and current laws or cultural attitudes towards my sexual and/or gender identity in my host culture?
- Do cultural dynamics favor and give a certain gender more privilege? How could that affect how I am perceived and treated abroad?
- Are their any safety concerns and/or issues related to my gender that I need to be aware of?
- How will I decide whether to share my gender identity or sexual orientation while I am abroad?
Most questions generated by the NC State Study Abroad Office
Below are resources to help you better understand how your identity may impact your experience abroad.
IES Abroad's LGBTQ+ Resources
Go Abroad's Tips & Tales: LGBTQ+ Traveler's Perspectives
Diversity Abroad's Roadmap For the Queer Study Abroad Experience
Transgender Europe's Global Interactive Map on Trans-related Laws, Healthcare, and Community
Diversity Abroad's Women Going Abroad
Department of State's Resource for Women Travelers
Identity work can be difficult, yet rewarding. However, you do not have to go through this process alone. There are offices on campuses available to support you! If you would like to talk through the "Questions to Consider" or other concerns you may have related to this topic, you can reach out to the offices below.
UD's LGBTQ+ Student Services
The Brook Center
Equity Compliance Office